First dates can be hard. They can be anxiety-filled, frightening and uncomfortable experiences for many. It’s not uncommon for nerves to get in the way of behaving naturally and not everyone has been blessed with the “gift of the gab”. Sometimes conversation doesn’t flow freely or feel as effortless as we may want.
There are a lot of good books, articles and blogs out there with suggested date questions, however, most of them cover the basics, such as:
· How many siblings do you have?
· What did you study at school?
· What do you do for a living?
· What’s your favourite colour?
· What do you like to do for fun?
· What are your hobbies?
· Where was the last place you travelled to?
· What kind of music do you listen to?
We’ve scoured much of the available material and have compiled a list below of some questions that we felt were creative, unique or compelling “awkward silence” fillers…including a few of our own…for those moments where the conversation could use a little boost. We suggest that you make a list that works for you (including whatever fabulous ideas you come up with) and carry it with you – in your pant pocket, wallet, or purse – on all dates, especially those potentially awkward first dates.
Open-ended questions (i.e. those that cannot be answered with a simple “yes” or “no”) are usually the best way to go and for the suggestions below, the assumption is that they are followed up with a “why” or “why not” after the person has responded…to keep the conversation going.
1) What are your thoughts on the death penalty?
2) What would you name your autobiography?
3) Which actor/actress would play you in your biopic?
4) How did you ring in the millennium?
5) Where was your first kiss?
6) What is a food you cannot live without?
7) When you were younger, what did you want to be when you grew up?
8) Who would you most like to be stranded with on a desert island – past or present?
9) What is the craziest dream you remember having?
10) Have you ever broken any bones?
11) What’s the best Halloween costume you’ve ever seen?
12) Would you rather be wanted or needed?
13) When did you realize that Santa Claus (or the tooth fairy, Easter bunny, etc) was not real?
14) What is your favourite day of the week?
15) If this date had to last 24 hours…what would we do?
If you have any favourites, please go ahead and share them here!
Inspiring a Love Movement …